Buhari appoints six new INEC commissioners
President Muhammadu Buhari has sent the names of six new commissioners to be confirmed for the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and five commissioners for the National Population Commission (NPC).
According to Daily Post, the Senate on Thursday, September 29, deliberated on names sent to the upper chamber by the president for confirmation.
The Senate president, Bukola Saraki read the two letters from the president during the day’s sitting, regarding the confirmation of the commissioners.
According to the list sent by the president to the Senate, the six commissioners for INEC are:
1. Prof. Okechukwu Obinna Ibeanu Anambra (member) (South East)
2. May I. Agbamuche-Mbu (Delta) (member) South South
3. AVM Ahmed Tijani Mu’azu (rtd) (Gombe) member (North East)
4. Mohammed Kudu Haruna (Niger) North Central (member)
5. Dr.Adekunle Ladipo Ogunmola (Oyo) South West, (member)
6. Abubakar Ahmed Nahuche (Zamfara) North West (member)
The list of the NPC commissioners are:
1. Dr. Eyitayo Oyetunji (Oyo State)
2. Barrister Patricia Iyanya (Benue)
3. Benedict Ukpong (Akwa Ibom)
4. Dr Haliru Bala (Kebbi)
5. Gloria FateyaIzonfuo (Bayelsa)
The appointments of the new INEC commissioners is coming on the heels of concerns expressed by the Senate over the incessant inconclusive elections being witnessed under the current leadership of the electoral body.